Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe is from Coles Autumn Magazine 2010. The cost per serve is AU$2.40.
- 2 kg whole chickens (2x 1kg whole chickens)
- 2 lemons, quartered
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 200°C or 180°C fan. Using kitchen scissors or poultry shears, cut down either side of the backbones of chickens and discard. Open out chickens and flatten, pressing with the heel of your hand.
- Rub chicken skin with cut lemon; reserve lemons. Combine oil, garlic, oregano, paprika, cayenne and salt, and rub into skin. Arrange chickens skin side up in a large baking dish and add reserved lemons.
- Roast for 45 minutes, until golden brown and cooked through. Set aside to rest for 10 minutes, then carve into pieces. Drizzle with reserved pan juices to serve.
Delicious chicken. I loved the seasonings. I found that my chicken needed about an hour to be cooked through but otherwise followed the recipe as written. Made for PAC Fall 2011