Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 0 mins
Cook 45 mins
If you don't have linguine, you may use spaghetti, or any other long pasta.
Make and share this Portuguese-Style Mussels over Linguine recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 lb linguica sausage, chorizo, keilbasa or 1⁄2 lb other hard sausage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 -5 plum tomatoes, cored and roughly chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, shredded or 1⁄4 cup minced fresh parsley leaves, plus some for garnish
- 1⁄2 cup water (do not use if using canned tomatoes)
- 3 lbs mussels, cleaned
- 1 1⁄2 lbs linguine
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Remove the skin from the sausage and chop into 1/4-1/2 inch pieces. Combine the olive oil and sausage into a large, deep pot over medium heat. Cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes.
- When the sausage begins to brown, add the garlic.
- Cook 1 or 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, then add the tomatoes and 1/4 cup basil.
- Cook 1-2 minutes, stirring, until tomatoes are softened. Add the water if you are not using canned tomatoes. Stir, add the mussels, cover, and turn heat to high.
- Salt the boiling water and cook the pasta until it is al dente.
- Cook the mussels, shaking the pot occasionally until all the mussels are open, about 10 minutes.
- Drain the pasta, place in a large serving bowl, and pour the mussels and sauce over the pasta.
- Garnish and serve.