Chef Gorete's Note:
This Portuguese chicken dish is one of my dad's favorite.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 whole chicken, cut into 8-10 pieces (or use all breasts)
- 1 tomato, peeled and diced (optional)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ketchup
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 dash piri piri hot sauce
- olive oil
- 10 potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 1In a large pot heat the oil then saute the onions for a few minutes. Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant.
- 2To the pot, add the spices, tomato (if using), wine and the chicken pieces. Cook slowly over medium heat.
- 3When the chicken is almost cooked, add the carrots and potatoes and enough water to almost cover the chicken.
- 4Cook until potatoes and carrots are cooked, adding more water as needed. Pour the sauce over the meat and potatoes when serving.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Portuguese Stewed Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (496 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 793.1
- Calories from Fat 322
- Total Fat 35.8 g
- Saturated Fat 10.2 g
- Cholesterol 162.5 mg
- Sodium 586.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 67.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.1 g
- Sugars 5.0 g
- Protein 46.0 g