Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a very popular recipe in this area where the population is mostly of Portuguese decent. A gal I work with, who is from the Azores gave me this one.
- 4 steaks, 1/2 inch thick (sirloin or rib eye work very well)
- 8 sliced garlic cloves (thinly sliced)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 bay leaf, crumbled
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 4 eggs (optional)
- 1 marinated roasted red pepper (optional)
- Mash the garlic with the salt. Mix in the pepper,parsley, and bay leaf,forming a paste. Season the steaks on both sides with the paste.place in a deep sided dish.
- Slowly pour the wine over the meat and marinate at least 2 hours(better overnight).
- Reserving the marinade remove steaks . Heat the butter and oil in large skillet over med-high heat. Fry the steaks 3 minutes each side.Remove to a clean plate and cover to keep warm.
- Add the reserved marinade to the hot pan and deglaze the browned bits . Remove from heat and quickly whisk in the cream. Place over med-low heat. Return the steaks to the pan and cook about three minutes. Sauce will thicken.
- While the steaks are cooking fry the eggs in a separate pan.
- Plate the steaks placing a fried egg on top of each, followed by a red pepper. Pool some sauce around the steak and serve with fried potatoes.
- A traditional Portuguese meal.
Loved this recipe. I have made Portuguese Steak & Egg but I have used Fast Fry Steak. This really is fit for a king. The family was thrilled to have eaten this as our Sunday dinner. Delicious! Made for Eggs & Dairy Photo Forum Event.
I made this without the egg and cream grilling it outdoors. I did cut back on the salt! DH has High blood pressure. If leftover I just may add the cream and egg for breakfast! I have ordered this in out favorite Portuguese restaurant and this is very close to it! Thanks!