Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
For Zaar World Tour II - Italy/Portugual. Recipe source: Bon Appetit (May 1984)
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 (8 ounce) beef tenderloin steaks (1 inch thick)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces, room temperature
- 2 slices prosciutto, chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- In a small bowl combine vinegar and garlic. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Pat steaks dry and then sprinkle with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Rub vinegar mixture into steaks. Let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes (or cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to one hour).
- In a skillet over medium heat melt butter with oil.
- Add steaks and cook to desired doneness (5-10 minutes per side). Transfer steaks to plates and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Pour off fat from skillet.
- Put skillet on high heat and stir in wine, scraping up browned bits. Boil for 3 minutes or unti it is syrupy.
- Whisk in tomato paste. Remove from heat.
- Whisk in remaining 2 tablespoons butter (1 piece at a time), incorporating in sauce.
- Stir in prosciutto and parsley.
- Spoon sauce over steaks.
This was one of the best steak recipes I've ever tried, thanks!
Very tasty steaks, thank you!
Delicious steaks! I am Portuguese so imagine :D I did use some round steaks I had from the butcher shop. Used 4 nice big pieces and then sliced in half, cuz there were many people to feed LOL (helping sister pack, and I offered to cook) I did not fry them I BBQ. I browned some onions and Portuguese Sweet Pimento Paste before adding the wine. Yummy, we poured the sauce over the steak. Thank you for posting and will make again. Oh and like Fruity Ana said......prosciutto IS very much part of authentic portuguese. :) Made by member of "Cooks With Dirty Faces" for ZWT5