8 hrs 35 mins
Also known as soupas. Rustic, hearty and an unusual but delicious spiced flavor.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lbs beef bottom round steaks, cut into 2 inch pieces and trimmed of fat
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup dry red wine (Zinfandel)
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon pickling spices
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (28 ounce) can peeled Italian tomatoes, chopped and undrained
- 7 ounces Italian bread or 7 ounces French bread, torn into 3 inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint (optional)
- 1Heat the olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- 2Add in the beef (may need to do this in batches), cook until meat is browned, stirring frequently.
- 3Transfer beef to 4 quart slow-cooker; season with salt and pepper.
- 4Add a little more oil to the skillet (if needed) and saute the onions for 4 minutes or until softened.
- 5Add in the garlic and saute 1 minute.
- 6Add in the red wine, tomato paste, pickling spices, and bay leaf.
- 7Let simmer and scrape up the browned bits from the bottom of the skillet as you stir.
- 8Remove skillet from heat; stir in tomatoes with juice.
- 9Pour mixture into slow cooker.
- 10Cover and cook on low 6-7 hours.
- 11Skin any fat from surface of stew.
- 12To serve: put bread chunks into individual serving bowls; pour stew over bread and let stand for 5 minutes.
- 13Sprinkle with fresh mint if desired and serve.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Portuguese Spiced Beef Stew
Serving Size: 1 (515 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 668.9
- Calories from Fat 306
- Total Fat 34.0 g
- Saturated Fat 11.5 g
- Cholesterol 116.1 mg
- Sodium 848.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 10.8 g
- Protein 43.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: