Recipe by lindieb
My boy friend is portuguese, and had a yen for this soup, after many test runs, I think I've got it. I've seen lots of variations, but this is close to what he remembers from his youth, lots of kale, linguica and a hearty broth. He likes this with crusty sourdough bread, but being from the south, I like it with good ole cast iron skillet cornbread.
- 1 lb linguica sausage
- 2 lbs kale, stems removed (about 2 bunches)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 (14 ounce) cans beef broth
- 3 medium potatoes, diced
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- slice linguica into bite size pieces, and brown in very hot soup pot. I like to get it a bit crusty.
- Add onion and cook til tender.
- Chop kale and add to pot and "wilt" about 10 minutes.
- Add broth, cover and simmer at least 45 minutes.
- Add potatoes and cook til they are done.
- Adjust seasonings, and serve.
- If soup seems tooo thick, just add another can of broth.