Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 hrs
From Woman's Day Magazine June 2009
Make and share this Portuguese Shrimp and Sausage Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 411.06 g canfire roasted diced tomatoes
- 4 red potatoes, quartered
- 226.79 g chorizo sausage, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 236.59 ml quartered pepper, cubanelle
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced, 1/2 cup
- 118.29 ml white wine
- 118.29 ml water
- 59.14 ml finely chopped onion
- 2.46 ml smoked paprika
- 2.46 ml minced garlic
- 1.23 ml salt
- 1.23 ml thyme
- 453.59 g medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Place all ingredients in crock pot except for shrimp. Gently stir until well combined and vegetables are covered in cooking liquid. Cover and cook on low 6 to 9 hours until veggies are tender.
- Turn heat to high and add shrimp pushing them under the liquid. Cover and cook for an additional 15 minutes or until shrimp are cooked through. Garnish with cilantro.
this was a nice starting off point for me and the ingredients I had available...I also have a rather large crockpot so my ingredient amts were in some cases larger than called for...Here were my changes: yellow potatoes (which I'll pre-cook next time since they werent entirely cooked through this time), 16 oz italian sausage (leftover from a pasta meal), green pepper instead of cubanelle (LOVE gr. pepper), celery flakes instead of celery (didnt have any celery), increased the onion to 1c (LOVE onion), increased the garlic to 1 tb (LOVE garlic), skipped the salt (prefer to salt-to-taste when I eat), kept the thyme, kept the shrimp but used extra large size and used homemade NSA vegetable broth (6c. worth since I was making a BIG batch)...Now granted, MY version was more italian than portugeuse, but thats OK, this recipe gave me a place to start...thanks for sharing!
Nice Soup! I did brown the sausage before adding to crockpot. Nicely spicy which we really like. Next time I will add a cup of broth to it. Made for My 3 Chefs.