Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a quick, modern-day rendition of an old-fashioned Old World favorite.
- 1 medium onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 garlic clove, mined
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 3 medium carrots, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1⁄2 a medium-sized head of cabbage, coarsely chopped (about 4 cups)
- 3 (10 1/2 ounce) cans condensed beef broth
- 4 cups water
- 12 ounces chorizo sausage, casings removed and meat chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans
- In a soup pot, combine all the ingredients over medium-high heat; bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 1 to 2 hours. The soup will be done after about an hour, but the longer you simmer it, the heartier it will be.