3 hrs 30 mins
This is a different and lovely bread to serve as a snack or with "Caldo Verde" (Portuguese Kale soup), salad or any meal of your choice. The "Chourico" is pronounced "Chureeso" and is different than the Mexican chourizo. It's a delicious sausage and I remember my parents making it from scratch, back in the old country when they slaughtered the hog. If you live near a Portuguese ethnic area, there should be no problem finding this sausage, but of course you can use any sausage of your choice.
My Private Note
9 x 13
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large bowl, pour in warm water and dilute yeast. Let stand until yeast is dissolved and slightly bubbly.
- 2Gradually add flour, salt and eggs, one at a time, and mix thoroughly adding the melted butter and olive oil. Continue to mix until dough pulls from bottom of the bowl.
- 3Turn out onto a floured surface and knead well. Shape into a ball. Place in a lightly greased bowl. Turn once.
- 4Cover and let rise in a warm place, away from drafts, until doubled in size.
- 5Punch down dough. Knead well with floured hands.
- 6Divide the dough into thirds.
- 7Roll out one of the thirds, big enough to fit into the bottom of a well buttered 9" x 13" baking pan.
- 8Cover the dough with half of the prosciutto and half of the chourico.
- 9Roll out 2nd part of the dough and place over meats. Cover the dough with the remaining half of the meats.
- 10Roll out 3rd part of the dough and cover.
- 11Press dough firmly all around edges. Cover dough and let rise 1/2 - 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- 12Brush dough with beaten egg yolk.
- 13Bake in a preheated 375 degrees Fahrenheit for about 30-45 minutes or until nicely golden.
- 14Allow bread to cool. Cut into serving size pieces.
- 15NOTE: If Portuguese chourico sausage is unavailable in your area, use any other garlic smoked sausage.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Portuguese Prosciutto and Chourico Stuffed Bread
Serving Size: 1 (176 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 766.9
- Calories from Fat 329
- Total Fat 36.6 g
- Saturated Fat 17.3 g
- Cholesterol 291.9 mg
- Sodium 1229.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 82.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 24.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: