Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
Sopa de Coentro from soupsong.com.Serve hot or cold.
Make and share this Portuguese Potato and Cilantro Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 4 onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 6 cups vegetables or 6 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 3⁄4 cup chopped cilantro
- In a large saucepan, saute the onions and garlic in 3 Tablespoons of oil for 5 minutes, until limp, then add the last Tablespoon of oil and the potatoes and stir-fry for a minute.
- Add the stock, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes, until the potatoes are mushy.
- Remove from heat and puree.
- Return the soup to the pot, season with salt and cayenne, and stir in the chopped cilantro.
- You can serve the soup cold--or reheat by slowly bringing it to a simmer.
- Ladle into soup plates and top with a sprinkling of cilantro or chives.
The DH really enjoyed this. He said when he was a kid they would have baked potatoes and gravy and this soup was like the part where the gravy and the hot potato were mushed together. That may have been due to my use of a homemade veggie stock which is much darker/richer than normal - so more like beef. He said he didn't really taste the cilantro all that much but at the same time he wasn't sure whether it needed it or not or....eh!!!! Anyway thanks for a hot soup to warm ya up on a rainy day!! Made for Veg*n Swap Oct '10!!!!
Was running in high gear all day, and was deeming to make something comforting and amazing for dinner. The only change to this recipe was to microwave the potatoes in some water (1/2 cup) in the microwave for 8 minutes, mashed, and put in the chicken stock. Once cooked (about 5 minutes) I put in blender, added spices, checked for salt, and cayenne. So wonderful, soul soothing, I am making this for "Saturday Lunch at the Farm" Very yummy a must try! (I also used some Yukon Yellow potatoes which gave it a nice hue. Thanks for posting!
The potatoes and onions were roasted for one hour @ 350 degrees.. Added all the ingredients except for the cilantro to a crock pot and cooked on HIGH for 1 hour and then on LOW for 6 hours. I wouldn't add the cilantro to the soup except as a garnish. Don't puree too much of the soup or you will end up with very creamy mashed potatoes. Reviewed for Veg Tag January.