Recipe by littlemafia
Sopa de Coentro from soupsong.com.Serve hot or cold.
Top Review by Mindelicious
The DH really enjoyed this. He said when he was a kid they would have baked potatoes and gravy and this soup was like the part where the gravy and the hot potato were mushed together. That may have been due to my use of a homemade veggie stock which is much darker/richer than normal - so more like beef. He said he didn't really taste the cilantro all that much but at the same time he wasn't sure whether it needed it or not or....eh!!!! Anyway thanks for a hot soup to warm ya up on a rainy day!! Made for Veg*n Swap Oct '10!!!!
- 4 onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 6 cups vegetables or 6 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 3⁄4 cup chopped cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, saute the onions and garlic in 3 Tablespoons of oil for 5 minutes, until limp, then add the last Tablespoon of oil and the potatoes and stir-fry for a minute.
- Add the stock, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes, until the potatoes are mushy.
- Remove from heat and puree.
- Return the soup to the pot, season with salt and cayenne, and stir in the chopped cilantro.
- You can serve the soup cold--or reheat by slowly bringing it to a simmer.
- Ladle into soup plates and top with a sprinkling of cilantro or chives.