This recipe has you cook the meat before browning it. Be sure to allow 5 days for the meat to marinate before you begin making this popular dish from the Island of Madeira, Portugal.
- With a sharp knife, debone and remove all of the rind from the meat,
- leaving the white fat, and discarding the rind. Cut into chunks.
- Combine the pork, wine, vinegar, garlic, marjoram and salt in a non-reactive bowl and marinate in the refrigerator for 5-6 days.
- Transfer the meat and a little of the marinade to a large non-reactive pot and simmer over low heat until meat is browned. Add enough more marinade to keep from drying out or burning.
- Transfer the meat to a platter.
- Moisten the slices of bread by dipping each side quickly into the hot marinade( add more, if nec.) and brown the bread in the marinade until sort of crispy.
- Arrange the bread on a serving platter, top with the meat.
- Serve hot.
- Can be re-heated in a frying pan for breakfast!