Recipe by PhilH
This comes from a friend of mine who lived in the Algarve region of Portugal. I once had this simple meal in a harbor-side restaurant and my friend gave me the recipe. Its been adapted a little quantity wise, to suit my taste. But friends love it.
Top Review by Mia #3
Now were talking, this indeed is a great receipe,and very simple to. Try adding frish clams to it and let them simmer for 1min. mix into the meat and potatoes, sprinkle fresh coriander. you wil love it. Thanks again Brain
- 1 1⁄2 lbs pork loin or 1 1⁄2 lbs lean boneless pork
- 8 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon bay leaf powder or 4 -6 whole bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 lemon, juice of, whole
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup white wine (no more than a good splash)
- potato, qty (cut into small 1-inch cubes)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut pork into small slices. Add all seasoning ingredients and 3 tbs of the oil to a large, shallow bowl and mix. Add pork and stir. Cover, and leave preferably overnight in fridge. Min 3 hours.
- Add remaining 3 tbs of oil to large skillet and put on high heat. When hot add pork mixture and stir fry until pork is cooked through (5 minutes). Then lower heat and simmer, stirring occasionally for a further 10-15 minutes.
- During this time, blanch the potatoes in boiling water and deep fry. When ready, add potatoes into pork mixture, stir and serve. Its that simple.I serve with fresh lemon wedges on the side to add that tangy extra if desired.
- For a less distinct flavor, lower the garlic and bay leaf quantities evenly.
- Cooking time does not include marinading.