Recipe by Krsi Sue
From Betty Crocker's International Cooking. Bake this in a bundt pan. It is light, and pretty. Have your eggs at room temperature for best results when mixing. I included an apricot sauce to serve over it, but it is tasty with homeade cranberry sauce as well. Use your leftover egg yolks to make noodles!!
- 1 cup dried apricot
- 2 cups water
- 2 -3 tablespoons Splenda granular
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 10 egg whites
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Apricot Sauce: Heat apricots, water, sugar and cinnamon in sauce pan.
- Cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Place apricot mixture and lemon juice in blender, cover and blend on medium speed, until smooth, scraping sides for about 15 seconds.
- Stir in 1-2 tbsp water, and refrigerate 3 hours.
- Meringue: Grease bundt pan and sprinkle with sugar.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy.
- Beat in sugar, 1 tbsp at a time until soft peaks form.
- Pour into bundt pan and cut gently through the mixture with a butter knife.
- Pour about 1" of very hot water into a 9x13 pan, place the bundt pan in the water and bake until the top is golden brown and the meringue is set - about 45 minutes.
- Immediately loosen meringue from the edges of the pan, invert onto a plate.
- Cool 30 minutes uncovered. (You may refrigerate up to 24 hours, but any longer is not recommended).
- Cut meringue into wedges and serve with apricot sauce or cranberry sauce.