Prep 24 hrs
Cook 50 mins
Posted by request; from The Complete Canadian Living Cookbook. Prep time includes LOTS of marinating time.
- In large glass bowl, combine all ingredients except chicken; mix well.
- Add chicken, turning to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours, turning occasionally; can be refrigerated for up to 24 hours if you want to make it ahead.
- Reserving marinade, place chicken, skin side down, on a greased grill over medium heat; close lid and cook for 10 minutes.
- Turn and brush with marinade; cook for 30 to 40 minutes or until juices run clear when chicken is pierced.
- For a less spicy version, replace above marinade with Portuguese Paprika Marinade: 1/3 cup dry white wine, 1 tsp grated lemon rind, 3 tbsp lemon juice, 2 tbsp tomato paste, 1 tbsp olive oil, 1/2 tsp paprika, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp hot pepper sauce, and 2 cloves of garlic, minced.
We loved this. I served it with Lemony rice pilaf (also by Lennie). The chicken was lovely and tender and very tasty.
I have made this many many many times!! I am Portuguese and this is one of our signature dishes! I recommend marinating it for a long time - the longer the better! Now to make it a real portugese traditional meal, serve this with thin french fries, white rice made in the oven with chicken broth and a green salad with tomatoes and onions. Trust me, you'll love it!! This can also be made in the oven, but it does taste better on the BBQ.
The chicken was very flavorful. I first doubled the marinade and took half and rubbed it under the skin of the chicken and poured the other half over the chicken and marinated for 24 hours. I made a third batch (without red pepper flakes) and my husband brushed it over the chicken as it grilled. Very, Very good!