Recipe by Alan Leonetti
Years ago I was married to a Portuguese girl for 12 years, and this is a dish her mother used to make.
Top Review by Cookin'Kitty
FABULOUS!!! I think the white wine is what is giving this recipe an edge over any other one I've found before. I made it for Christmas at home and got rave rave reviews.
This is a MUST TRY recipe. Do it with whateve you have at home.. that is the beauty of paella!!
- 1 chicken (cut into pieces or 6 skinless thighs)
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 2 ham hocks
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 2 cups rice (Spanish)
- 1⁄2 lb raw peeled shrimp
- 1⁄2 lb clam (littleneck)
- 1⁄2 lb mussels
- 1⁄2 lb sea scallops
- 3⁄4 lb linguica sausage (sliced into 2 inch pieces) or 3⁄4 lb chorizo sausage (sliced into 2 inch pieces)
- 1 red bell pepper (sliced)
- 1 cup chicken stock or 1 cup broth
- 3⁄4 cup white wine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon saffron (sub. safflower spice or Sazon)
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse chicken pieces and pat dry with paper towel.
- Season with salt and pepper. Saute chicken and ham hocks in 1/4 cup of olive oil until golden.
- Remove chicken, leaving ham hocks in pot, and saute garlic, onion and rice for a few minutes.
- Add chicken back to skillet on top of rice. Tuck in seafood and sausage.
- Add chicken stock or broth, wine, saffron and bell pepper. Cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle peas on top, and cover again and continue to cook an additional 10 minutes and serve.