Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs 30 mins
This is a wonderful dessert that is basically an egg crepe rolled up, jellyroll style. Bake time includes cooling time of 3 hours. I have made an orange curd filling to put in this, but it tastes wonderful, just as it is, topped with whipped cream. It works well as a breakfast treat, too.
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Generously grease and flour (make sure you include the sides) of a 15x10x1 inch jellyroll pan.
- With a mixer set at high speed, beat together the eggs and sugar for about 5 minutes, or until it is completely smooth and the sugar is dissolved.
- Stir in orange juice, rind and cinnamon.
- Pour into pan, and bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the mixture bubbles into hills and valleys, and the top is slightly brown in places.
- While torte is cooking, spread a clean kitchen towel (slightly larger than the torte) on the counter and sprinkle the 1/2 cup sugar over the towel.
- When the torte is done, remove from oven and run a knife around the edges to loosen it. Quickly turn it out onto the sugared towel and use the towel to roll it up from the shorter side.
- Let stand, covered by the towel for about 3 hours, or until slicing and serving.