1/1 Photo of Portuguese Millet and Grilled Pepper Salad, O Milhete E Salada A
This arrived in my inbox via a yahoo group, spicy vegetarian.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup millet
- 20 ounces unsalted vegetable stock
- 1 red pepper
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 orange bell pepper
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 red chili, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground mixed spice (your choice)
- 2 ripe tomatoes, skinned and diced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1Dry fry the millet in a large frying pan for 3 to 4 minutes until golden and releasing a smoky aroma, then transfer to a saucepan, Add the stock, bring to the boil, cover and simmer gently for about 20 to 25 minutes until the grains are swollen and the stock is absorbed. Transfer to a large bowl.
- 2Meanwhile, grill the peppers under a high heat for 15 to 20 minutes turning them over as one side chars until charred all over. Put in a bowl, cover and leave until cool enough to handle, Remove the pepper skins, core and seed over a bowl to catch the juice. Slice the pepper flesh into short strips.
- 3Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a frying pan. Add the onion, garlic, chilli and mixed spice and fry gently for 5 minutes. Mix in the diced tomatoes and remove from heat.
- 4Whisk the remaining oil with the balsamic vinegar and reserved pepper juices. Add to the cooked millet with the spiced tomato mixture, pepper strips and basil. Mix well and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Portuguese Millet and Grilled Pepper Salad, O Milhete E Salada A
Serving Size: 1 (301 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 496.4
- Calories from Fat 224
- Total Fat 24.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 31.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 67.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.5 g
- Sugars 6.5 g
- Protein 9.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
unsalted vegetable stock