2 hrs 20 mins
Kendra PeloJoaquin's Note:
My grandmother (from Fall River Massachusettes) taught me to make this soup just before I went to college. I tweaked it a little, but not much. This is portuguese soul food. It cures all ills, especially the rainy cabin fever I get here in Seattle each winter. Note: 12.02.07 I stopped eating meat, but still love to make this soup. Vegetarians... use "Soyrizo" instead of Chourice.
My Private Note
huge po ...
Units: US | Metric
- 3 large potatoes, peeled then chopped coarsely
- 2 large white onions or 2 large yellow onions, one chopped coarsely the other finely
- 400 ml dry sherry (this is half a bottle but the Zaar wanted clear measurements) or 400 ml white wine (this is half a bottle but the Zaar wanted clear measurements)
- 10 cups fresh kale, leaves and stems chopped finely
- 1 apple, washed chopped in half, and de-seeded
- 1/2-3/4 cup minced fresh garlic clove
- 3/4 lb Portuguese chourico (or chorizo, the mexican version, if you like) or 3/4 lb soy chorizo
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (12 ounce) can great northern beans (white, kidneys or pintos would do fine too)
- 1 lemon
- 2 -3 bay leaves
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- hot sauce (I prefer Tabasco)
- 1Dump the potatoes in a big old stock pot with the garlic, the wine and about a gallon of water or stock, about a tbs of salt, a few dashes of hot sauce, the two apple halves and the bay leaves.
- 2Heat on medium with a lid.
- 3While the potatoes soften, simmer the chourico in a smallish sauce pan.
- 4Add a little olive oil if it's really lean sausage.
- 5Cover it and simmer on low (you want to save all the savory, spicey yumminess to stay right there in the pan!) When the potatoes are good and soft, mash them.
- 6(I take the apples out-- they should be floating -- for a sweeter soup, leave them in, but take the peels off.) I mash them right there in the stock pot, but some people like to strain them out, smash'em and then put them back inches.
- 7Whatever you do,*don't* dump out all of the wonderful broth the potatoes have created for you.
- 8Don't smash them entirely if you like a nice chunky soup.
- 9When the chourico is all cooked (I tell by the consistency.) put the onions in the pan and put the lid back on.
- 10Turn off the heat, and let the onions start to wilt in the pan.
- 11Let the potato broth simmer without a lid for about 1/2 hour.
- 12Taste it.
- 13Adjust salt/pepper.
- 14Take out the Bay Leaves Add the Kale, the Chourico/Onion mixture, the thyme, turmeric (about 1 tsp each), the tomatoes and the beans.
- 15Let it simmer with the lid off for about 1/2 hour.
- 16Taste it, adjust it.
- 17Add the juice of about the 1/4 of the lemon.
- 18Continue to simmer and taste for about 1 hour or so adjusting lemon, spices, salt, and hot sauce.
- 19Serve with some crusty bread, and parmesean cheese to put on top.
Browse Our Top Apple Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Portuguese Kale Soup (With Veggie Version)
Serving Size: 1 (4187 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 5266.5
- Calories from Fat 1256
- Total Fat 139.6 g
- Saturated Fat 50.6 g
- Cholesterol 299.6 mg
- Sodium 6413.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 511.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 81.5 g
- Sugars 81.9 g
- Protein 165.0 g