Recipe by Julie B's Hive
A hearty soup with spicy Italian sausage, pepperoni, potatoes, and kidney beans. If unavailable kale can be substituted with spinach or chard...but then, it's not really kale soup, is it?
- 4 ounces hot Italian sausages
- 1 1⁄2 ounces sliced pepperoni, slivered
- 1 large yellow onion, quartered and thinly sliced (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 medium stalk celery, coarsely chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken stock
- 6 cups water
- 8 ounces kale, thick stems removed and leaves sliced (8 cups)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 12 ox red potatoes, halved and sliced (2 cups)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot red pepper sauce (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup cooked red kidney beans or 1⁄2 cup cannellini beans
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove the casings from the sausage and discard; crumble the meat. In a stockpot cook the sausage, stirring, over moderately low heat for 4 minutes. Add the pepperoni and cook and additional 2 minutes or until the fat is rendered. Drain meats well and place on paper toweling. Pour out all but 1 tsp of the fat from the stockpot and discard.
- Add the onion and celery to the stockpot and cook, covered, over low heat for 8 minutes or until softened. Return the sausage to the stockpot and add the stock, waster, kale, and garlic. Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the potatoes, red pepper sauce, and salt and simmer, covered, 20 minutes more or until the potatoes and kale are tender. Add the beans and cook just until heated through.