1/7 Photos of Portuguese Kale Soup
1 hr 5 mins
DH and I have been going to a little place called Cafe Rio for years. About the only thing we ever order there is Portuguese kale soup. I have tried to duplicate the recipe for several years and this is as close as it gets. The linguica sausage is a must.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 bunch kale
- 1/2 head green cabbage
- 6 -8 cups chicken stock or 6 -8 cups canned reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 lb linguica sausage, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 lb red potatoes, diced
- 2 (15 1/4 ounce) cans dark red kidney beans
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon Hungarian paprika
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- coarse salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1Wash kale under running water.
- 2Strip from tough stem, coarse chop and set aside.
- 3In the food processor, using the medium shredder blade, shred cabbage, drain and rinse beans.
- 4Heat the olive oil in a large stock pot, add sausage, chopped onion and minced garlic.
- 5Cook, stirring occasionally until the onion is transparent.
- 6Add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- 7Adjust chicken stock as needed for desired consistency.
- 8Add salt and pepper to taste, remove bay leaf and serve hot with a coarse bread.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Portuguese Kale Soup
Serving Size: 1 (397 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 240.5
- Calories from Fat 34
- Total Fat 3.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 4.3 mg
- Sodium 235.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.4 g
- Sugars 6.2 g
- Protein 13.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: