Recipe by PaulaG
DH and I have been going to a little place called Cafe Rio for years. About the only thing we ever order there is Portuguese kale soup. I have tried to duplicate the recipe for several years and this is as close as it gets. The linguica sausage is a must.
- 1 bunch kale
- 1⁄2 head green cabbage
- 6 -8 cups chicken stock or 6 -8 cups canned reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 lb linguica sausage, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 lb red potatoes, diced
- 2 (15 1/4 ounce) cans dark red kidney beans
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 bay leaves
- 1⁄8 teaspoon Hungarian paprika
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- coarse salt
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash kale under running water.
- Strip from tough stem, coarse chop and set aside.
- In the food processor, using the medium shredder blade, shred cabbage, drain and rinse beans.
- Heat the olive oil in a large stock pot, add sausage, chopped onion and minced garlic.
- Cook, stirring occasionally until the onion is transparent.
- Add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Adjust chicken stock as needed for desired consistency.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, remove bay leaf and serve hot with a coarse bread.