Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
DH and I have been going to a little place called Cafe Rio for years. About the only thing we ever order there is Portuguese kale soup. I have tried to duplicate the recipe for several years and this is as close as it gets. The linguica sausage is a must.
- 1 bunch kale
- 1⁄2 head green cabbage
- 6 -8 cups chicken stock or 6 -8 cups canned reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 lb linguica sausage, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 lb red potatoes, diced
- 2 (15 1/4 ounce) cans dark red kidney beans
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 bay leaves
- 1⁄8 teaspoon Hungarian paprika
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- coarse salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- Wash kale under running water.
- Strip from tough stem, coarse chop and set aside.
- In the food processor, using the medium shredder blade, shred cabbage, drain and rinse beans.
- Heat the olive oil in a large stock pot, add sausage, chopped onion and minced garlic.
- Cook, stirring occasionally until the onion is transparent.
- Add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Adjust chicken stock as needed for desired consistency.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, remove bay leaf and serve hot with a coarse bread.
Even though I couldn't find the linguica sausage, this turned out great. Spicy and flavorful!
This is the first year I've grown kale (or even tasted it). Tried this recipe first and loved it. Going to grow more now! Thanks!!
This is one of my favorite soups to make. I have made it now regularly and it keeps getting easier and better each time. I use cherizo instead of linguia. I also omit the beans. I sometimes to cut corners I have used frozen kale which works fine. I also add more red pepper as it is cold here in New Hampshire.Its a really yummy and inexpensive meal. I serve it with crusty bread. It freezes ok (except for the potatoes. Thanks for the great recipe.