Recipe by Scarlett516
A Portuguese soup.
Top Review by Mia #3
Hello from Portugal, well being Portuguese I make (caldo verde) quite often. I must say my version of the receipe is a little different than yours, so I decided to give yours a try. It was very good indeed, only one thing I didn't care for and that was the lemon juice. I will omit it next time, thats NOT a critic by all means! Just my own personal taste. Very good, and will make it again. Thank you for posting.
- 22.18 ml olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1892.72 ml chicken stock or 1892.72 ml other chicken stock
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 7.39 ml salt
- 2.46 ml black pepper
- 2.46 ml vegetable oil
- 170.09 g linguica sausage or 170.09 g chorizo sausage or 170.09 g other smoked sausage, thinly sliced
- 946.36 ml shredded fresh kale, chard or 946.36 ml collard greens, washed and dried
- 29.58 ml fresh lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Over medium heat in a large soup pot, heat olive oil. Add onion and garlic cloves and cooked for about 5-10 minutes, or until tender, but not browned.
- Stir in the stock, potatoes, salt, and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until the potatoes are soft. This should take about 20 minutes. Remove the pot from heat and lightly mash the potatoes with a potato masher.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, heat the vegetable oil.
- Add the meat, stirring occasionally, and cook until browned.
- Add the meat to the pot. Pour 1 cup of the soup into the skillet to remove the browned bits and return to the soup pot.
- Simmer 5 minutes, then stir in the greens.
- Simmer 5 more minutes and stir in lemon juice.
- Serve while hot.