Recipe by Olha
Native to Portugal’s northwest region of Minho, this green soup is made with a deep green kale which is unlike that grown elsewhere. Kale or spinach found in American stores can be uses as a substitute.
Top Review by carole in orlando
Very nice hearty soup! I used 4 cups of chicken broth and 4 of water. I also added a few red pepper flakes and some minced garlic. Thanks for a great new soup recipe. Carole in Orlando
- 1 lb fresh kale
- 4 medium potatoes, pared
- 8 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil or 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 lb smoked garlic sausage, cooked and sliced into 1/4 inch rounds
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash the kale and cut off any stems.
- Slice into thin shreds.
- Put the potatoes, water, oil, salt and pepper in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and cook slowly, covered, for about 25 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
- Remove from the stove, and put the mixture through a sieve or puree it.
- Return to the saucepan; add the strips of kale.
- Continue to cook about 12 minutes longer, or until the kale is tender.
- Add the sausage rounds, and leave on the stove long enough to heat through.
- Menu: Portuguese Green Soup,Warm Garlic Bread, Baked Bananas in Orange Juice.
- Soups & Stews One Dish Meals.