1/3 Photos of Portuguese Garlic Nailed Steak (Prego No Pao)
Serve on a plate with rice and vegetables or served up on a bun with lots of onions, this is a very popular way to enjoy beef steak.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb sirloin steak, cut in 1/4-inch thick slices and trimmed of any visible fat
- 1/4 cup butter (4 tablespoons)
- 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced (or to taste)
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt (to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 crusty sandwich buns, toasted
- 1Lay out the steaks on a cutting board or other flat surface.
- 2Lay slices of garlic on on side of the steaks.
- 3Using a tenderizing mallet, "nail" the garlic to the steak by pounding the slices into the meat.
- 4Repeat on the reverse side of the steaks.
- 5Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- 6Fry each steak in the butter for barely two to three minutes, turning once.
- 7Transfer to a dish and cover.
- 8Melt the remaining butter in the same skillet.
- 9Add the onions and saute until they are golden.
- 10Transfer the onions to the dish holding the steaks.
- 11Pour the wine into the same skillet.
- 12Using the flat edge of a wooden spatula, scrape up the caramelized coating on the bottom of the pan.
- 13Increase the heat to medium-high and reduce the sauce by half.
- 14Return the onions and beef to the sauce and heat through for 1 minute.
- 15Serve on crusty rolls with a salad on the side or try tossing some lettuce and a slice of tomato into the bun for tasty all in one sandwich.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Portuguese Garlic Nailed Steak (Prego No Pao)
Serving Size: 1 (331 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 787.9
- Calories from Fat 457
- Total Fat 50.8 g
- Saturated Fat 25.1 g
- Cholesterol 172.0 mg
- Sodium 1618.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 6.5 g
- Protein 37.5 g