Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
365 Ways to Cook Vegetarian, Kitty Morse
- 1 head garlic (papery outside husks removed)
- 30 ounces garbanzo beans (drained)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 medium tomatoes (cut into 1/2-inch dice)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°F Slice 1/4 inch off top of head of garlic. Wrap garlic in foil. In a small baking dish, roast garlic until it turns buttery soft, 30 to 40 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a serving bowl, mix garbanzo beans with basil and vinegar. Set aside.
- When garlic is cool enough to handle, squeeze out each clove into bean mixture. Stir well to coat beans.
- Toss with diced tomatoes. Season with cumin, salt, and pepper. Serve at room temperature.
I love the whole idea, but mine didn't turn out quite right. It lacked "body" and wasn't tangy enough. I added lemon juice for flavor and a little chopped onion for crunch and think that helped a lot. But I still felt like it needed something to sort of bind it all together. Maybe I did something wrong! I suspect maybe I made a mistake with the roasting of the garlic. But I did enjoy it and would make it again.