Recipe by kiwidutch
After looking though 108 Fried potato recipes and seeing none that contain parsley, but no onions, I thought I would post this typically Portuguese version of fried potatoes. The mixture of oil and butter keeps things from burning, but for health reasons I usually use less of the butter. I allow between 30 minutes and 1 hour cooking time to get a more even colour that slower cooking gives and depending on the variety of potato used.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 750 g potatoes (peeled)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper (freshly ground if you have it)
- 4 tablespoons parsley (finely chopped)
- parsley (extra for garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice the peeled potatoes into thin rounds, about 5- 10 mm (approx 1/4 inch) thick.
- Heat the butter and oil in a pan and cook the potatoes slowly on a low heat until cooked though and golden brown. ( this can take 30 minutes to 1 hour depending on the type of potato used).
- Cooking on a low heat ensures an even golden brown colour and less little burnt bits.
- Once cooked though, add the salt, pepper and parsley and mix well though the potatoes.
- Transfer to a heated serving dish and serve immediately with additional parsley for garnish if desired.