Recipe by Lavender Lynn
Recipe is from global-recipes.com
Top Review by Bayhill
Delicious! We loved this rich, eggy French toast. We enjoyed the subtle orange flavor which really put it over the top. I used homemade Portuguese sweet bread which had lemon zest in it and added to the citrus in this French toast. I baked it in a 9x13" pan for 45 mins. and served it dusted with powdered sugar and warm maple syrup. **Made for 2016 Culinary Quest for Pi Rho Maniacs - Azores Islands**
- 5 eggs
- 946.36 ml skim milk
- 59.14 ml white sugar
- 2.46 ml cinnamon
- 2.46 ml nutmeg
- 4.92 ml orange zest
- 453.59 g portuguese sweet bread
- 29.58 ml unsalted butter, cubed
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F Whisk together the eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and orange rind in a medium mixing bowl.
- Cut the bread into seven or eight slices and lay them overlapping in a large baking dish.
- Pour the egg mixture over the bread, covering every slice.
- The bread should not be entirely submerged though; the higher parts should become toasted and crispy.
- Dot the bread with the butter. Bake the French toast in the oven for 35 to 45 minutes until the custard is set.
- Serve immediately.