Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Recipe is from global-recipes.com
- 5 eggs
- 4 cups skim milk
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 16 ounces portuguese sweet bread
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed
- Preheat oven to 350°F Whisk together the eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and orange rind in a medium mixing bowl.
- Cut the bread into seven or eight slices and lay them overlapping in a large baking dish.
- Pour the egg mixture over the bread, covering every slice.
- The bread should not be entirely submerged though; the higher parts should become toasted and crispy.
- Dot the bread with the butter. Bake the French toast in the oven for 35 to 45 minutes until the custard is set.
- Serve immediately.
Delicious! We loved this rich, eggy French toast. We enjoyed the subtle orange flavor which really put it over the top. I used homemade Portuguese sweet bread which had lemon zest in it and added to the citrus in this French toast. I baked it in a 9x13" pan for 45 mins. and served it dusted with powdered sugar and warm maple syrup. **Made for 2016 Culinary Quest for Pi Rho Maniacs - Azores Islands**
This was one of the best baked french toast recipe I've made, and it didn't even need to sit overnight! A friend gave me a loaf of sweet bread and this was a great way to use part of it... I halved the recipe in an 8x8 dish which gave 4 nice size servings. I upped the amount of orange zest and the flavour was wonderful. Thanks for posting!
Seems like I'm making French toast nowadays with almost anything but French bread, & enjoying it all, as we did with this recipe! My first time using this kind of bread, & it's definitely a winner! The only change I made was to add an additional amount of the orange zest! A keeper of a recipe, for sure! Thanks for posting it! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]