Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Creamy Cinnamon Doughnuts. Posted for ZWT 5. Happy to post these I recall eating them as a kid sold from the little portuguese bakery in Point Loma- San Diego.
- 1 quart water
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 12 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Boil together lemon rind and cinnamon stick in water.
- Meanwhile, into a large bowl, add together all the dry ingredi-
- ents. Into the boiling water, add butter.
- When butter is completely melted, remove cinnamon sticks and rind.
- Pour water into the dry ingredients, mixing very fast.
- Add one egg at atime, until completely blended.
- Drop by spoonfuls into hot oil; let cook until puffs brown evenly.
- Do not pierce with fork; remove puffs from oil and let drain on paper towels.
- Then remove puffs to another dish of paper towels.
- When cool,roll on sugar and cinnamon mixture.
- It will look like a puff but inside will have a texture of an eclair.
My grandmother was from the Azores. I make these from "sweetbread" recipe using 9 c. flour, 3 pkg dry yeast, 1 1/2c milk, 3/4c butter, 1 1/2 c water, 3 or 4 eggs, 1/3 c sugar some lemon juice and vanilla for flavor. I use the dry mix method, let dough rise under an electric blanket once. I stretch a handfull of dough and fry in 325 degree oil, drain quickly and roll in white sugar. Sometimes 350 is too hot and the "scones" are too dark. This could also be used for raised jelly donuts! To keep from getting soggy, don't cover with lid the 1st day and can repeat sugar coating thereafter. Yum!
Made as posted and good tasting but my batter was really thin and they were a bit messy to fry up and lost their crispiness after just a few hours. Was it something I did maybe? Made for ZWT5.
These were so good for a Sunday breakfast! Living not to far from New Orleans, they reminded me alot of beignets. So I made some as the recipe states- then I mixed powdered sugar in the cinnamon/sugar mixture, and rolled the rest in that. Wonderful! I really liked the flavor the lemon zest/cinnamon added to the "puff". Thanks for a good recipe. Made for The Groovy Gastrognomes for zwt5.