Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Found this recipe by Emeril on the Food Network; posting for ZWT.
Make and share this Portuguese Feijoada recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons vegetables or 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 lbs dried black beans, soaked overnight and drained
- 1 lb salt pork, cut into 1/2-inch cubes, boiled for 5 minutes and drained
- 2 lbs linguica sausage, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 lb smoked lean ham hock, fat scored
- 1 lb corned beef, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1 orange, washed very well and quartered
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 quarts water, plus more as needed
- In a large, heavy, deep pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. When hot, add the onions, garlic and bacon and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, 4 to 6 minutes. Add the beans, salt pork, Linguica, ham hocks, corned beef, orange, bay leaves, salt, crushed red pepper and water. Bring to a boil, skim any froth that comes to the surface, cover and reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the beans are very tender, about 2 hours.
- Remove from the heat and discard the bay leaves and orange quarters. Serve with Portuguese rice, Vinaigrette Sauce and Sauteed Collard Greens.