2 hrs 10 mins
1 hr 30 mins
A traditional Portuguese cornbread, this yeast bread has the wholesome rustic flavor and texture that suitably accompanies soups. I found this for ZWT on a website of traditional Portuguese foods.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large mixing bowl combine 1 cup of the cornmeal, the salt and boiling water and stir vigorously until smooth. Stir in 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, then cool to lukewarm. In a small bowl, sprinkle the yeast and sugar over the lukewarm water.
- 2Let it stand for 2 or 3 minutes, then stir to dissolve the yeast completely. Set the bowl in a warm draft-free place, such as an unlighted oven, for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the yeast doubles in volume.
- 3Stir the yeast into the cornmeal mixture. Stirring constantly, gradually add the remaining ½ cup of cornmeal and 1 cup of the flour. Gather the dough into a ball, place it in a bowl and drape a towel over it. Set it aside in the draft-free place for about 30 minutes, or until it doubles in bulk.
- 4With a pastry brush, coat the bottom and sides of a 9-inch pie pan with the remaining 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Turn the dough out on a lightly floured surface and punch it down. Then knead it by pressing it down with the heel of your hand, pushing it forward and folding it back on itself repeatedly for about 5 minutes, meanwhile adding up to 1 cup more flour to make a firm but not stiff dough.
- 5Pat and shape it into a round flat loaf and place it in the greased pan. Drape a towel over it and set it aside in the draft free place for about 30 minutes, or until it doubles in bulk again.
- 6Preheat the oven to 350°. Bake the bread in the middle of the oven for 40 minutes, or until the top is golden. Transfer it to a rack to cool.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Portuguese Cornbread - Broa
Serving Size: 1 (730 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1654.9
- Calories from Fat 243
- Total Fat 27.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1240.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 314.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 20.7 g
- Sugars 5.9 g
- Protein 40.1 g