1/1 Photo of Portuguese Cornbread
3 hrs 15 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
Posted for ZWT 5. This recipe is for a yeat raised cornbread. Very interesting & I can't wait to try it myself. Prep time includes rising times. From http://www.thegutsygourmet.net/spain.html
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In stand mixer bowl, fitted with dough hook attachment, combine 1 cup of the cornmeal, pepper and salt.
- 2Add 1 cup boiling water and mix until smooth. Let cool to 120°F (about 20 minutes).
- 3Mix in yeast and sugar, then 1/4 cup hot water and 1 tablespoon oil.
- 4Mix in remaining 1/2 cup cornmeal.
- 5Add 1 cup bread flour and mix until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.
- 6Cover bowl with damp towel and let dough rise in warm, draft-free area until puffy. ( about 45 minutes).
- 7Grease 9-inch metal pie pan with oil.
- 8Knead enough of the remaining bread flour into dough to make it nonsticky. Knead on floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.
- 9Form dough into a ball and place in pan.
- 10Flatten to fill bottom of pan, cover with towel and let rise in warm, draft-free area until doubled, about 50 minutes.
- 11Preheat oven to 350°F
- 12Score top of bread in ticktacktoe pattern.
- 13Bake until bread is light brown on top and sounds hollow when tapped on bottom, about 45 minutes.
- 14Remove from pan; cool on rack.
- 15Serve warm or at room temperature. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool. Wrap tightly. Before serving, wrap in foil and warm in 350°F oven 15 minutes).
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Portuguese Cornbread
Serving Size: 1 (766 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1737.1
- Calories from Fat 206
- Total Fat 22.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 3568.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 340.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 22.4 g
- Sugars 6.0 g
- Protein 43.7 g