1/2 Photos of Portuguese Corn Bread (Broa)
2 hrs 55 mins
2 hrs 15 mins
This is from Carol Robertson's "Portuguese Cooking". The author shared that this is not like American corn bread and is often served with Potato and Kale soup. I can't wait to try it!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a small bowl combine yeast, sugar and 1/4 cup of the water; set aside.
- 2In a large bowl stir together the remaining water, milk, salt, olive oil and cornmeal.
- 3Add the yeast mixture to the cornmeal, stirring until combined.
- 4Slowly add the flour, a little at a time, until you have a soft dough that is not too sticky to work with. Adjust more or less flour as needed.
- 5Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead 5 minutes.
- 6Place in a greased bowl, cover and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour or until double in bulk.
- 7Punch dough down, knead for 5 minutes.
- 8Grease a 9-inch round pie pan.
- 9Form dough into a round loaf that will fit into the pan. Place in the pan and cover, allowing to rise again in a warm place until double in bulk (about 1 hour).
- 10Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- 11Bake for 40 minutes or until it sounds hollow when tapped.
- 12Cool on a rack.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Portuguese Corn Bread (Broa)
Serving Size: 1 (188 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 420.3
- Calories from Fat 49
- Total Fat 5.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 4.2 mg
- Sodium 419.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 81.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 11.2 g