1 hr 15 mins
Chef Gorete's Note:
A basic Portuguese fish dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cover cod with cold water and soak for 24 hours, changing water two or three times. Drain off water. In a saucepan, cover cod with cold water; bring just to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until tender. Drain, and when cool enough to handle, remove any skin and bones, then coarsely shred.
- 2In a saucepan, boil the potatoes in salted water just until tender. Drain and mash.
- 3In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients until well mixed.
- 4Heat frying pan and add a bit of oil. Form a small patty and cook on medium heat. When bottom has colour, flip and finish cooking.
- 5Taste the cake, and adjust the salt and pepper if needed. Continue making the cakes, stirring the mixture often, adding oil as needed. Drain the cakes on paper towels.
- 6Cakes can be served hot or at room temperature. Delicious served with potato slices that are boiled with garlic cloves, salt and pepper flakes.
- 7Note: The pimento paste is available in the international section of the store.
Browse Our Top Portuguese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Portuguese Cod Fish Cakes
Serving Size: 1 (445 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 820.9
- Calories from Fat 92
- Total Fat 10.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 478.2 mg
- Sodium 10762.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 65.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.3 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 111.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: