Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
A basic Portuguese fish dish.
Make and share this Portuguese Cod Fish Cakes recipe from Food.com.
- Cover cod with cold water and soak for 24 hours, changing water two or three times. Drain off water. In a saucepan, cover cod with cold water; bring just to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until tender. Drain, and when cool enough to handle, remove any skin and bones, then coarsely shred.
- In a saucepan, boil the potatoes in salted water just until tender. Drain and mash.
- In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients until well mixed.
- Heat frying pan and add a bit of oil. Form a small patty and cook on medium heat. When bottom has colour, flip and finish cooking.
- Taste the cake, and adjust the salt and pepper if needed. Continue making the cakes, stirring the mixture often, adding oil as needed. Drain the cakes on paper towels.
- Cakes can be served hot or at room temperature. Delicious served with potato slices that are boiled with garlic cloves, salt and pepper flakes.
- Note: The pimento paste is available in the international section of the store.