Recipe by Deantini
Wonderful cod dish from Portugal. From Canadian Food Network.Traditionally made in a terra cotta dish that has been soaked in water. You can use an oven proof covered baking dish instead
Top Review by Nyteglori
A very pretty dish. Rather bland, I think it needed a bit of spicing up. I think if we make it again we might use a spiced canned tomatoes like Italian tomatoes or Rotel. I didnt have a terra cotta dish so I used corning ware. I think I should have reduced the liquid as it was very soupy (the terra cotta would have allowed for more evaporation.)
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 cups potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced on a mandolin
- 3 plum tomatoes, sliced (Roma potatoes work well)
- 1⁄4 cup oil-cured black olive, drained, pitted and finely chopped
- 2 lbs cod fish fillets, fresh
- 1 cup chicken broth
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak a 3-litre (3-quart) terracotta baking dish and its cover in water for about 15 minutes. If you are not using a terracotta dish, preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F) with the rack in the middle position (see note).
- In a skillet over medium heat, caramelize the onions in oil. Season with salt and pepper. Add the garlic and continue cooking for 1 minute. Set aside.
- Remove the terracotta dish and cover from the water.
- Cover the bottom of the dish with one quarter of the potato slices.
- Add half the tomatoes and olives. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover with another quarter of the potatoes. Cover with the onion and garlic mixture.
- Cover with another quarter of the potatoes, and then lay the fish on top. Season with salt and pepper. Cover with the remaining potatoes, tomatoes and olives.
- Add the broth. Adjust the seasoning.
- Cover the dish and place it in the centre of the oven. Turn the oven on to 200°C (400°F). Bake until the potatoes are tender, about 1 1/4 hours. Let stand for 15 minutes and serve.
- *Note: If you do not have a terracotta dish, you can use any ovenproof covered baking dish. In that case, preheat the oven and reduce the cooking time to about 1 hour.