This rich little dessert is a cross between a custard and a macaroon. Adapted from David Leite, leitesculinaria.com
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Adjust the rack to middle position. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with 10 paper cupcake liners.
- Dissolve the cornstarch in 1/4 cup of the milk. Set aside.
- In a food processor fitted with a metal blade chop the coconut flakes for 30 seconds, or chop well by hand.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir the eggs and sugar together with a wooden spoon. One by one, add the cornstarch mixture, remaining milk, coconut, melted butter and lemon and other extract, stirring well after each addition.
- Ladle the custard into the paper cups, filling to 1/4 inch from the top. (NOTE: Make sure to stir frequently to keep the coconut well distributed.)
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the coconut is nicely toasted. Cool completely in the tin before serving.