Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
My mom taught me how to make this when I was a teenager and I've been making it ever since. This is great to accompany a fish dish.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons pimento paste (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 (5 ounce) can clams, undrained
- 1 1⁄4 cups short-grain rice
- 1 1⁄4 cups canned tomatoes, pureed
- In a saucepan, cook onion and garlic in oil until tender.
- Add pimento paste and parsley. Cook for a couple of minutes.
- Drain clams but reserving liquid.
- Add the clams to the saucepan. Measure clam juice and add enough water to measure 1 1/4 cups of liquid.
- Add rice and tomatoes and bring to boil. Cover and reduce heat to low for 20 minutes.
- Add salt if necessary.
This was a great side dish. I served it with Portuguese Style Shrimp and a side of Fava Beans. The tomato and red pepper flavour goes great with fish or seafood. Thanks Mina!!