There are a couple of other sausage and kale soups on 'Zaar, but none like this. It is a just a bit spicy and filling and soothing and a meal in itself. (OK, maybe with an apple for fruit...or apple pie! :-)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 -6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 lb kale, coarsely chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans (chick peas) or 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 lb diced chorizo sausage
- 4 cups chicken broth or 4 cups stock
- coarse salt and pepper
- Heat the olive in a pot over medium high heat.
- Add potatoes and onions, cover and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic, bay leaves, and kale to the pot.
- Cover pot and wilt greens for about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add beans, tomatoes, sausage, and broth to the pot and bring soup to a full boil.
- Reduce heat back to medium and cook 5 to 10 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender.