Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a recipe I made for my birthday bash to satisfy some vegetarians. It turned out Fantastically! I got the recipe from Fatfree.com. The person who posted it there got it from "365 Ways to Cook Vegetarian". Since I don't eat raw tomatoes, I made a small tweak to the recipe. My guests never missed the fresh tomatoes.
- 1 head garlic, papery outside husks removed
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chickpeas, drained
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup sun-dried tomato packed in oil, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- First you have to roast the garlic. Preheat oven to 425. Slice 1/4" off top of head of garlic. Wrap garlic in foil. In small baking dish, roast garlic until it turns buttery soft, 30 to 40 minutes Let stand 10 minutes to cool.
- While garlic is cooling, in serving bowl, mix chickpeas with basil and vinegar. Set aside.
- When garlic is cool enough to handle, squeeze out each clove into bean mixture. Stir well to coat beans. Toss with diced tomatoes. Season with cumin, salt, and pepper. Serve at room temperature.
awesome!!! i made this recipe on the 4th of july, my friends and family loved it!!! the convination of all the flavours are perfect, fresh basil is very important...