Recipe by TxGriffLover
This may not be the official national dish or Portugal, but it could be. Fragrant with the sweet aroma of Portugal's best wines, it's a dish you won't soon forget. Adapted from Worldwide Recipes.
Top Review by Dr. Jenny
DH and I made this chicken last night for dinner and thought it was excellent. First, it requires very little prep (always nice); second, it was really easy to make; third, I loved the flavor of the sauce! I served the chicken over mashed potatoes to really soak up all the sauce (there is quite a bit). I used fresh oregano from my garden. I would definitely make this dish again! Thanks!
- 1360.77-1814.36 g chicken pieces
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 29.58 ml butter
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 236.59 ml chicken stock
- 118.29 ml dry port wine or 118.29 ml madeira wine
- 2.46 ml chopped fresh oregano (or 1/4 tsp dried)
- 236.59-473.18 ml fresh green peas (or frozen)
Directions See How It's Made
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat the oil and butter in a large heavy baking dish over moderate heat and brown the chicken on all sides.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside. Saute the onions in the same baking dish until tender but not brown, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the stock, wine, and oregano and return the chicken to the skillet. Cover and simmer over low heat until the chicken is tender, 45 to 60 minutes.
- Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper and add the peas about 15 minutes before serving.