Recipe by TxGriffLover
Virtually every culture on Earth has a style of making chicken soup that they can call their own, and in Portugal it involves rice, lemon, and mint. Adapted from Worldwide Recipes.
- 6 -8 cups chicken stock
- 1 lb chicken piece
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 4 sprigs parsley
- 1 the lemon, zest of, cut in thick strips
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked rice or 1⁄2 cup tiny pasta, shape
- 1⁄4 cup chopped mint leaf, plus additional (to garnish)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (to taste)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- lemon slice (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the chicken stock, chicken pieces, onion, parsley, and lemon zest in a large pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer covered until the chicken is cooked through, about 30 minutes.
- Remove the chicken pieces and cool enough to handle. Remove and discard the skin and bones and cut or tear the meat into small pieces.
- Strain the soup through cheesecloth (muslin) and discard the solids. Return the stock and meat to the pot and add the rice, mint, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook until the rice is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Garnish with lemon slices and mint leaves.