1 hr 30 mins
15yr old family chef's Note:
This recipe is very similar to the Nando's chicken and if used the way I direct it will turn out to be a fraction of the price. I'm no expert chef but I can tell you that if done right, these babies will come out heavenly. I searched for this recipe on this site to see if a similar one had been posted but obviously not so here I am with the awesome recipe. This chicken comes out sweet with Chilly and ripe with the tang of lemon.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 lemons, juice of
- 1 teaspoon bay leaf powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons very soft butter
- 1 pinch salt
Piri Piri sauce
- 1Mix all ingredients for the marinade together. If you find it annoying crushing up the garlic you can buy it pre crushed from the shops.
- 2Use a sharp knife cut chicken into six pieces so that you have the breast and lower part of the chicken as well as the 4 drumsticks and wings, (visualize the look of the chicken at Nando's). Cut off any excess fat but leave most of the skin as it will add to the flavor.
- 3Make several small incisions into the chicken to later help it absorb the marinade.
- 4Bask the chicken well in the marinade and allow it to marinate in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- 5Meanwhile mix the Piri Piri seasoning with the lemon juice and the oil. You can find Piri Piri seasoning easily from the shops and it saves you having to chop if 10-12 red chillies and chop up a bay leaf and such, just makes the process a lot simpler. Also add a pinch of salt.
- 6Pre heat the grill and insert the chicken. Bask the chicken frequently with any excess marinade.Turn the chicken frequently and make sure it doesn't burn.Cook for approximately 30 minutes.
- 7Remove the chicken from the grill/BBQ and allow it to cool before lathering it in the Piri Piri sauce. Serve with potatoes and what ever else you desire.
- 8Charcoal grill or BBQ preferred but gas grill works almost as well.
- 9Seven easy steps to Heaven!
Browse Our Top South American Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All South American Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Portuguese Chicken in Piri Piri Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (92 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 279.5
- Calories from Fat 235
- Total Fat 26.1 g
- Saturated Fat 6.6 g
- Cholesterol 45.8 mg
- Sodium 120.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 8.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
ground piri-piri pepper