Prep 45 mins
Cook 40 mins
Great with coffee or tea!
- In large bowl of an electric mixer, beat 1 cup of the sugar and butter until well blended.
- Add lemon peel and juice; mix to blend.
- Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, until smooth.
- Gradually stir in 3 cups of the flour, mixing well. cover and chill until dough is firm enough to handle easily, at least 3 hours or as long as 2 days.
- For easier handling, chill the dough before you form the ring-shaped cookies.
- Divide dough in half. Cover and chill 1 portion.
- Divide other half into 8 equal pieces. With floured fingers, roll each piece on a lightly floured board to make a 10-inch rope.
- Overlap ends of each rope slightly to form a ring.
- Place rings about 1 inch apart on a greased 14x17 inch baking sheet. Sprinkle light with sugar. Bake in a 300°F oven until golden, 35-40 minutes.
- Remove cookies from pans and let cool completely on racks. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Serve or store airtight up to 10 days.