Prep 1 hr
Cook 6 hrs
I once had a neighbor from Portugal - she cooked the most amazing foods! If you can't find linguica, chorizo or kielbasa will do. This makes a LOT of soup, but it can be frozen.
- 3 lbs cubed lean beef round, for stew
- 2 lbs beef bones
- 16 cups water
- 1 small head of garlic, separated into cloves, unpeeled
- 4 celery ribs, cut up
- 1 large sweet onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 small bay leaves
- 4 sprigs parsley
- 1 lb linguica sausage
- 2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and cut in 3/4-inch cubes
- 2 (15 ounce) cans red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes in puree, tomatoes broken up
- 1 1⁄2 lbs head green cabbage, quartered, cored and coarsely shredded
- 3 cups sliced sweet onions
- 2 large carrots, cut in 1/2-inch pieces (1 cup)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon anise seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Heat oven to 400°F Lightly grease a large, shallow roasting pan.
- Spread beef and bones in prepared pan and roast 30 minutes, stirring 2 or 3 times, until browned. Put beef, bones and remaining broth ingredients in an 8-quart pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 4 to 41/2 hours. Remove meat with a slotted spoon. Shred into small pieces, cover and refrigerate. Strain broth and discard remaining solids.
- Return broth to pot, cover and refrigerate overnight for fat on surface to harden.
- To finish soup, cut sausage in quarters lengthwise, then crosswise in 1/2-inch-thick pieces. Brown in a skillet 5 minutes.
- Discard fat layer from soup. Bring broth to a boil, add sausage and remaining ingredients (including shredded beef), reduce heat, cover and simmer 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.