1/2 Photos of Portuguese Beef and Onions (Bifes De Cebolada)
A recipe that I found at recipes4us.co.uk and am posting this for ZWT Spain/Portugal region. I think this would be nice served over pasta, rice or with mashed potatoes. This isn't a spicy dish, so if you are wanting a little zip to the beef/veggie mix, feel free to add red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper to taste.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb beef steak, cut into very thin slices (rump, sirloin, fillet)
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 lb tomato, chopped
- 1 tablespoon parsley, freshly Chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and black pepper
- coriander, freshly chopped to garnish (cilantro)
- red pepper flakes (optional) or cayenne pepper, to taste (optional)
- 1Heat the oil in a large frying pan until very hot, add the beef and fry for 2-3 minutes to seal on all sides.
- 2Add onion, garlic, tomatoes, parsley, and bay leaf, season with salt and pepper and heat to simmering point. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- 3Remove the lid, raise the heat, bring to the boil and continue to boil rapidly, uncovered for 5 minutes to reduce the amount of liquid. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 4Serve hot sprinkled with fresh coriander.
Browse Our Top Steak Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Portuguese Beef and Onions (Bifes De Cebolada)
Serving Size: 1 (205 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 82.8
- Calories from Fat 33
- Total Fat 3.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 9.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 6.1 g
- Protein 1.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: