1/1 Photo of Portuguese Beans With Rice
1 hr 30 mins
magpie diner's Note:
As with most Portugese recipes, simple ingredients with tasty results! It calls for dried beans, so be sure to soak them overnight beforehand. I would like to try this with a short grain brown rice instead of aborio.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 ounces dried white beans
- 4 ounces chorizo sausage (chopped into bite sized pieces)
- 8 ounces arborio rice (or other short grain rice)
- 3 ounces bacon
- 1 onion
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 ripe tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (or to your taste)
- 1Soak the beans overnight for at least 6 hours. Drain them and put them into a pot, covering them with cold, lightly salted water. Add in the chorizo. Cover and bring to a boil then lower the heat and allow to simmer for about an hour until the beans are tender but not overcooked.
- 2While the beans are cooking, prepare the rice by boiling it in lightly salted water and straining once al dente. (Or you could use your rice cooker). Set the rice aside.
- 3Peel the onion and garlic and chop together with the bacon. Saute them together in a pan with the olive oil. Clean the tomatoes, removing their seeds, and dice them, then add them to the saute pan.
- 4Add the bay leaf, parsley, salt and pepper to the pan, as well as the red pepper flakes if you are using. Allow to cook on medium heat until the onions are fully cooked.
- 5Add the rice to the pan, keep stirring, allowing the rice to soak up all the flavours in the pan for a minute or two.
- 6Put the rice mixture into a bowl and stir in the drained beans and chorizo. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Short-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Portuguese Beans With Rice
Serving Size: 1 (298 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 857.8
- Calories from Fat 316
- Total Fat 35.1 g
- Saturated Fat 9.4 g
- Cholesterol 39.4 mg
- Sodium 692.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 102.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.7 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 33.8 g