Recipe by "Food:The Way To Anyone's Heart"
This recipe is from Leite's Culinaria. I have made these several times and enjoyed them. Do not use Mexican Chorizo. Chourice may be bought online@ www.linguicia.com or Gaspars.com; you may do this recipe in a crockpot also, placing on low for several hours until beans are tender.
- 1 lb dried navy beans, small California white or 1 lb great northern bean, washed and sorted
- 1⁄2 lb bacon
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 lb portuguese chourice sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- fresh ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak beans overnight in enough cold water to cover by several inches. Drain beans and set aside.
- Fry bacon in skillet over medium heat until crisp, 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels and set aside.
- Pour off all but 2-3 tablespoons of bacon fat; add onion and cook until golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes; Add garlic and cook 1 minute more.
- Add beans, 8 cups water, tomato paste, chourice, red pepper flakes, paprika.
- Cover and simmer until beans are tender, 1-1/2 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally to prevent scorching.
- Just before serving, crumble bacon into beans and season with salt and pepper.