Recipe by Cheri B
Thank You Aunt Alta, this is her recipe. It is one of those make in the morning and let it cook all day or do the day ahead. Works well to make ahead and reheat in a crock pot to the picnic.
Top Review by Maryland Jim
Your Aunt Alta knows her beans! This is one of the best bean recipes I have ever had. Followed directions except after final mixing I put them straight into the crock pot and cooked them on low for 6 hours. Everyone enjoyed them. I will be making these again REAL soon.
- 1 (1 lb) package pinto beans
- 2 -3 quarts water, to cook beans in
- 1⁄4 lb diced bacon or 1⁄4 lb salt pork, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 2 cups ketchup
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook beans, by putting in heavy kettle, cover, with 3 inches of water. Do not cover pot with lid, boil for 3 minutes. NOW cover and remove from heat.
- Let stand 1 hour. Cook bacon or salt pork add to beans. Do not disguard drippings.
- Return to heat, remove lid and boil, reduce to simmer approximately 1-2 hours.Until tender, drain off water until just covered.
- Take pan drippings and cook onion.
- Add Allspice and Ketchup cook at a simmer 2 minutes.
- Add mixture to beans and simmer, the day away.