Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
Posting for the ZWT ( Portugal) This recipe is different then the others posted since there is no meat except bacon fat. Times are approximate and I am not sure of the servings
- 1 cup dried red kidney beans
- 3 onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup bacon fat
- 6 small potatoes, diced
- 1 (5 1/2 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 quarts water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- salt and pepper
- Soak and boil the beans until they just start to soften (1.5 hours or so).
- Saute onions and garlic in fat until slightly brown.
- Add everything else except salt (salt will keep your beans from softening). Bring to boil, cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Salt just before serving.
When growing up in Bermuda, our next door neighbor made this soup. She was Portuguese and heavenly and exotic smells always emanated from her kitchen. My mom made this and I make it now. Mom used to sprinkle parm. cheese on ours which is delicious. I actually throw the bacon I cook down into the soup. With a loaf of crusty bread and a salad, this is heavenly.
Absolutely Delicious! Loved this recipe. I only made one change, Instead of the bacon I used Prosciutto that I had in the freezer that needed using. This was excellent with dinner rolls dipped in the soup. Thank You and I will make again. Made for Everyday Is A Holiday Tag Game.