Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook2 hrs 30 mins
This is a hearty soup that thickens naturally with the added potato chunks. It makes a BIG pot, but don't worry, it reheats well (just add more water as needed before reheating).
- 2 smoked pork shanks or 2 ham hocks
- 1 portuguese sausage, sliced
- 8 cups water
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 large onion, cut in large chunks
- 2 large potatoes, cut in 1-inch cubes
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans
- 1 small head of cabbage, chopped
- 1 cup uncooked macaroni
- Bring water to a boil in a large pot. Simmer ham and sausage for 2 hours. Remove ham and cut into bite size pieces, then return to pot.
- Add potatoes, carrots, onions, spices and tomato sauce. Continue simmering until carrots are cooked (about 15 minutes), then add beans and cabbage. Simmer until cabbage is wilted.
- Ten minutes before serving, add macaroni and stir well, then simmer until macaroni is cooked.
- This soup is easy to personalize to your own tastes, so feel free to add any other veggies (green beans are a favorite!) or ingredients you'd like.