Recipe by Chilicat
This is a hearty soup that thickens naturally with the added potato chunks. It makes a BIG pot, but don't worry, it reheats well (just add more water as needed before reheating).
Top Review by catsoplenty
This recipe is most definitely a keeper!! It's thick and hearty and full of wonderful flavors!! I didn't have a ham bone or ham hocks but did have some ham broth from doing a spiral ham in my crockpot. I used the broth plus enough water to make the 8 cups of liquid and a ham slice cut into chunks......plus a package of kielbasa for the sausage. I left out the salt thinking there would be enough from the meats and broth .......which there was. I have a feeling this is one of those soups that I could eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner!! Thanks so much for posting.....this recipe will be used over and over in the future!
- 2 smoked pork shanks or 2 ham hocks
- 1 portuguese sausage, sliced
- 8 cups water
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 large onion, cut in large chunks
- 2 large potatoes, cut in 1-inch cubes
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans
- 1 small head of cabbage, chopped
- 1 cup uncooked macaroni
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring water to a boil in a large pot. Simmer ham and sausage for 2 hours. Remove ham and cut into bite size pieces, then return to pot.
- Add potatoes, carrots, onions, spices and tomato sauce. Continue simmering until carrots are cooked (about 15 minutes), then add beans and cabbage. Simmer until cabbage is wilted.
- Ten minutes before serving, add macaroni and stir well, then simmer until macaroni is cooked.
- This soup is easy to personalize to your own tastes, so feel free to add any other veggies (green beans are a favorite!) or ingredients you'd like.